Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gold's Gym Cardio Workout: Initial Impressions

I did my NFL Training Camp workout early in the morning yesterday and I had some time in the evening so I thought I'd give the Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (GGCW) a try. Its been out for a couple of years now, so the price is pretty low - I got it for around $20. It has received good reviews and I like the cardio boxing theme, so I thought I'd get it to try out a bit and get into it more after I finish my 60 day NFL challenge.

Fast forward 24 hours from my first GGCW session...

My back is SORE! I can feel some soreness in my biceps as well and I know its from GGCW, not the NFL workout, which was lower-body focused. I only just went through the basics in GGCW, where it shows you how to throw a jab, cross, hook, and uppercut as well as goes over some simple footwork and dodging. I probably spent about 30 minutes total getting through the training sessions. I didn't want to overdo it since I'd already done a workout in the morning. Still, even just doing the basics, I broke a light sweat and its clear now that I used some muscles I don't normally use.

I'm not going to write up a full review here just yet since I don't have enough experience, but so far I'm intrigued. From what I can tell, the bulk of this game is "cardio boxing," which involves throwing punches and doing various footwork in sequence and in conjunction with music. The interface actually looks similar to games like Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero, where the moves you are supposed to do scroll across the screen and you need to synchronize your actions with them to get points. Seems fun, I may try it again on Friday which is my next off day from the NFL workout. I'm a little too sore to fire it up again tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and have cross-trained in boxing, Muay Thai, and other martial arts. Since getting married and having two kids, I have had little time to do anything even closely related to exercise, much less martial arts. From an exercise as well as a martial arts training perspective, this game is incredibly fun and effective, particularly for those who have limited time and resources.

    ReplyDelete