Thursday, February 3, 2011

EA Sports NFL Training Camp: Report 5, Day 17

60 Day Challenge Day 17, Workout #10
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, Trainer: Troy Polamalu
Time: 28:23
Calories Burned: 184.0
Avg. Heart Rate: 112 bpm
Max. Heart Rate: 166 bpm

Got up nice and early this morning for the second of my back to back workouts. The game automatically picks a stadium for you to work out in, but you can override its selection if you want. So far I've just been going with what the game picks, but man, I hate the Steelers. I worked out in the steel city anyway with Troy Polamalu today. I think he's funny in those shampoo commercials.

On to the workout! It was a challenge again today. Not quite as brutal as yesterday's workout, but decidedly more difficult than the workouts of the first two weeks. Foot fires and bag hops were plentiful today, and the duration of the foot fires seems to have doubled, while the bag hops went from sets of 5 to sets of 10. The game also introduced an exercise called leg raises, where you sit on the ground, lean back, propping yourself up on your elbows, extend your legs straight out in front of you, then lift your legs up to about a 50 or 60 degree angle. Then you bring your legs back down, but leave your feet hovering a few inches off the ground. Repeat. 16 times. This is the first time in awhile that I had to take a pause in the middle of an exercise. I made it through 8 and had to stop for about 10 seconds because my abs were killing me. This happened during both sets of leg raises. By the last few reps of each set, I was putting my feet on the ground, which you're not supposed to do.

Below is the graph of my heart rate/calories burned today:


Workout #10: Heart rate/calories burned chart (click to enlarge)


I feel like I'm consistently getting great lower body and core workouts, but I'm still skeptical about the resistance band upper body exercises. Its difficult to control the tension of the band and I feel like I'm going to break it during some of the overhead exercises (shoulder presses, tricep extensions). I think the upper body part of the workout is probably better from someone trying to tone than someone trying to build muscle. The pushups seem like the only real upper body strength building exercise, but they don't show up too often and have only been sets of 10 so far. I think it would be a good idea to supplement this workout with a little bit of weight lifting or pullups/chinups if you have that sort of equipment available and want to build upper body muscle. I think I will try working my dumbbells in a couple of times a week.

Anyway, another day of rest tomorrow and then back to it on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment