Wednesday, March 2, 2011

EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp 60 Day Challenge - Phase 3 Begins!

60 Day Challenge Day 41, Workout #25
Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, Trainer: Darren McFadden
Time: 38:20
Calories Burned: 311.2
Avg. Heart Rate: 125 bpm
Max. Heart Rate: 163 bpm

Okay, I've got one Phase 3 workout under my belt and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I wouldn't say any one part of this morning's workout was particularly strenuous, it was just a constant push and was a fairly long workout. One thing to note, where I write "time" is what the game tells me after the workout is complete. From what I can gather, this is the amount of time spent doing the exercises, not the total time that elapsed from start to finish of the entire workout. I would say the whole thing took closer to 45 minutes today, and I don't tend to stop for long in between exercises. There is a little load time though, and sometimes there is a demonstration of how to do the exercise if its a new one. As you work through the 60 day challenge, the duration of the workouts increases. In Phase 1, I was spending about 30 minutes from start to finish and now its more like 45. It'll probably be even longer by the time I'm finished. I'm finding myself getting up earlier and earlier to get my workout done and still catch the same bus to work.

Anyway, let's have a look at today's workout chart:


Click to enlarge
 Lots of jump squats today (5 sets of 20), and a lot of bag hops (4 sets of 15). The leg lifts and crunches with punches were pretty brutal today. The workout would have a set of 24 leg lifts with the next exercise being a set of 24 crunches with punches. This occurred twice during the workout. Even though my heart rate drops during these exercises, I can tell they are a great workout, as my abs really start to feel the burn about halfway through the leg lifts. By the last few reps of crunches with punches, I can barely get my shoulders off the ground.

Like I keep saying, the intensity continues to increase throughout the 60 day challenge and each workout is a challenge. Its hard work, but the satisfaction of keeping up with it is worth it in my mind. In my first post of this blog, I talked about how many different fitness regimes I've tried in the past and how I haven't stuck with any of them for long. I'd say this is the first time I've consistently worked out (4+ days a week) for 41 days while constantly upping the intensity. I was pretty good about hitting the gym 3 to 5 days a week a couple of years ago, but it felt like a real chore and I was definitely slacking a lot of the time and doing pretty light workouts a decent amount of the time. I felt like just showing up was good enough. The 60 day challenge doesn't let you do that. Each workout is tough. There are no light days. Sure you get your scheduled days off, but if its a workout day, you'd better come ready to put it all out there.

I'm pretty amazed by the quality of workout I've been getting in my tiny living room with limited equipment (TV, Wii, exercise mat, resistance band/hand weights). I'm looking forward to finishing the last few weeks of the challenge strong and figuring out how to maintain my fitness level afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, have you had any problems with the lunges and floor exercises. I like the game and I really want to try the 60-day challenge; but I cannot get through a 22-exercise day without 5 of them having serious sensor problems. I've tried moving around the arm and leg sensor; the wii sensor bar; restarting the set; etc. I can't find any help online; but you seem to be flying through it. Any advice at all??? Please help!!
    larsen1018@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, I haven't really had any problems with the lunges. I'd say just make sure your sensors are oriented correctly and your moves are fairly deliberate. Also, make sure you don't move around once you have dropped into the lunge until it is time to stand back up. FWIW, my sensor bar is at the very front edge of my TV stand, which is about two and a half feet off the ground and I stand about 6 to 7 feet from my TV.

    For the floor exercises, I was having problems with reverse crunches. The game seems to be sensitive to the angle of the leg sensor. It really had to be almost parallel to the floor to register as being "down" even though the avatar on the screen had more of a bend in the knees. Fiddle with the angles and range of motion and hopefully you'll eventually find a way to make it work.

    ReplyDelete