Thursday, January 27, 2011

Welcome to my blog!

Can a 26 year old with a desk job and an extra 20 pounds accumulated since high school turn things around by working out with a Wii? We'll see...

Growing up, it was always easy to stay in shape. I ate whatever I wanted, ran around outside all day, rain or shine, life was good. Next thing you know, running around isn't so much a leisure activity - its something you do if you see your bus speeding away from you or if you feel you might be in mortal danger. Exercise is the last thing on your brain after spending a ten hour day sitting in a chair at the office. Maybe you'll just have a seat in front of the television or go have a beer or three to unwind with your friends. Then one day you happen to catch an unflattering glimpse of yourself in the mirror coming out of the shower, or god forbid you step on a scale. It hits you - what happened here?

I'm a 26 year old male, not in the worst of shape, but my figure has certainly evolved to reflect my more sedentary office job lifestyle. I'm a good 15 to 20 pounds heavier than I was in high school a mere 8 years ago. In the last few years I've joined a gym, bought an exercise bike, taken up actual cycling, bought a set of dumb bells, and attempted to go for a jog more than once, just to name a few of my attempts to get back in shape. Well... I've also quit the gym I joined, didn't ride my bike more than five or six times last year, probably about the same can be said for my stationary bike, and the dumb bells are more or less gathering dust. Oh, and don't ask about the jogging...

I've got all the excuses too - It's raining outside, what if I look stupid and run into someone I know, the gym is closed, this workout bores me to death... Well, what excuses do I have to not try working out with my Wii? Its in the privacy of my own home, I own the required equipment, less any software I'd like to try, and it seems like it can be engaging.

Well, that's really the theme of this blog. I've been working out with my Wii on a disciplined schedule for about a week and a half now, primarily playing EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp. So far I have been really excited about it and I'm really looking forward to sharing my progress. This seems like a great way to help others learn about one "average guy's" impressions of using the Wii as a way to get in shape and hopefully can be a place where others can share their experiences as well. I also hope this will escalate my commitment to working out regularly. If people are reading my posts, I'd better keep working out and coming up with new ones. Please feel free to share your own experiences or suggestions/recommendations in the comments section. I will likely be focusing on NFL Training Camp to start with, but I will certainly be branching out to try other Wii exercise software as well. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment